Coca Cola Brownies & Glaze


When I first wondered if cola flavoured cakes existed I never expected to find anything, so I was shocked to be confronted with so many crazy Coca Cola Cake recipes. I had mixed feeling scrolling and reading all the recipes, it was like a car crash I could not stop looking even though baking with Coke seemed slightly wrong, and extremely sweet.  I'll be totally honest here, I am a massive Coke fan, its my guilty pleasure, I know its not great for you but I just love it, so even though part of me was telling me it was wrong I just couldn't resist trying it out.  After some playing around (dropping the crazy amount of sugar that seemed to be being used in a lot of the recipes, amongst other things) I came up with these Coca Cola Brownies with a Cola Glaze.

What you need…

Brownies
  • 160g Butter
  • 2/3 cup cocoa powder
  • 3/4 cup Coca Cola
  • 1/2 cup of Buttermilk (you can make this yourself by using 1/2 cup of milk with a teaspoon of lemon)
  • 1 Egg
  • 1 1/2 cups of Plain Flour
  • 1 1/2 cups of Caster Sugar 
  • 1/2 teaspoon Bi-carb Soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon Cinnamon
Glaze
  • 115g Butter
  • 3 Tablespoons Cocoa powder
  • 6 Tablespoons Coca Cola
  • 2 Cups of Icing Sugar
How you do it…

Brownies
  • Set you oven to 180 C and grease and line a square loose based tin (loose bottom tins like spring form tins help with getting your cakes out without having to turn them upside down).  I used a 22cm X 22cm tin
  • In a mixing bowl mix together the flour, caster sugar, bi-carb, and cinnamon, making up the dry ingrediance,  set aside
  • In a small bowl mix the buttermilk and the egg together, set aside
  • In a saucepan over medium heat melt the butter and add in the cocoa powder and coca cola, bring to the boil.
  • Make a well in your dry ingrediance and pour in the buttermilk and egg mixture, give it a quick mix with a wooden spoon then mix through your warm cola mixture.
  • Pour the brownie batter into the tin, bake for 30 mins
  • Once baked through, let cook for at least 30 mins before removing from the tin and making the glaze.
Glaze
  •  Shift the icing sugar at least twice...this is important as you do not want lumps!
  • In a saucepan over a medium heat start melting the butter, add in the cocoa powder and coca cola, once it starts boiling remove from the heat
  • whisk in the icing sugar.

  • Cut up the brownies into squares and place on serving plates, pour the glaze over the top and serve right away while warm.
  • Alternatively you can pour the glaze over the whole brownie, let the glaze set then cut up and serve cold

* I liked it warm but it was still super tasty the next day when I had it cold.

I'm still quite surprised that even though it is chocolaty you still get a good cola taste! Now I can't wait to make some Vanillia Coke and Cherry Cola variations.  


1 comment :

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS